Thursday, January 22, 2009

Airlines: Seriously inefficient, but they hooked me up


So there’s been a lot of talk on the instability of the airline industry and how many money managers won’t invest in these stocks because they’re complete piles of shit. I didn’t really understand the argument since the industry has bounced back quite a bit since 9/11. Some of the airlines are going through some high profile restructuring and things have been looking optimistic.

That is, until my weekend experience. So I flew down to Charlotte this weekend to see my high school buddy(no homo). The US Airways flight to Charlotte had fallen into the Hudson the day before and since commercial air accidents happen about once every 5 years, I felt the clock had restarted and I didn’t have to worry about a crash for my next few flights. So I got into Charlotte without a hitch after my layover in Newark and had a great weekend. Girls in North Carolina are much different than girls up north, it seemed like every girl had a pretty face and smoking body. Only problem was that these girls were with the biggest puds in the world. I’m talking girls who are 8’s or 9’s with dinks who were 4’s or 5’s.

(side note: I went out with a couple of kids in Charlotte that brought up some very important guidelines when going out on the town.)

1. A girl who is over 30 and isn’t married and never was, is tainted goods. Being that old and not in a relationship means she’s seriously screwy in the head. This is especially true if the girl is hot. By that stage in her life if the girl hasn’t found some helpless guy to put up with her shit it means she’s totally tapped. Guys, don’t take the “my career got in the way of a relationship” argument either, something is seriously wrong with this women and don’t waste your time talking to her unless you’re into crazies.
2. If you’re talking to a girl who has more than three or four friends with her there is no chance you are going home with that girl. As a wise man once told me “there are too many people to cock block you.” I firmly believe in this theory, even if the girl falls in love with you in those few hours before last call I can guarantee that at least one of her friends doesn’t like you or a friend is jealous because she is ugly and will convince her friend that you’re not worthy. Shoot for groups of two or three.

These items will be added to the black book of man laws.

Anyways back to my story. So the weekend was great and I was flying out on Monday. I was suppose to depart on a Continental flight at 11:05AM to Newark, then connect onto Boston where I’d arrive at 3:00PM. So as I’m sitting by the gate, the gate attendant gets onto the intercom to ask for volunteers to give up their seats. Since I wasn’t doing anything I figured I’d volunteer and earn some flight credits for my next trip.

So as I’m talking to the guy he tells me that they’ll give me a flight credit of $150 and I’ll be re-booked on a different flight. I assumed I’d be in the terminal for another few hours while I waited for the next flight out, but this was not the case. The guy re-booked me on a US Airways direct flight to Boston that was leaving at 11:35AM, just 30 minutes after my original flight was going to depart. I would fly direct and get in at 1:45PM. I was fricken ecstatic and the attendant acted like it happens all the time.

So needless to say I felt like I got away with a major con job, but it seems as though these types of things happen all the time. I’m not sure what the agreements with these airlines are for transferring passengers but to me it seems rather inefficient. It seems like there are major holes in this system and until they’re fixed I’m not recommending airline stocks although, I’d like to thank Continental for my future discounted trip. Vegas Baby!


-M

No comments:

Post a Comment