Sunday, January 11, 2009

State Lottery Sales Rising during Recession

So it seems as though lottery sales are going through the roof now that the economy is completely in the shitter. The only problem is that the people who have upped their ante are the people who can least afford to spend any extra cash. I'll "bet" the $20 grammy gave me for Christmas that Al from Nashville isn't the local Orthopedic Surgeon. Hey we need people to pick up trash too, but if you're only making $12.50 an hour and you don't know if you're job is going to be around next week shouldn't you be putting that money away for a rainy day. Instead it seems that most people would rather the feel alive for the 30 seconds it takes you to walk from the cashier to the car to scratch that ticket.
Now I'm not saying gambling is wrong. I'll even admit to throwing General Grant on a two team teaser every now and then, but I'm a young professional with money to burn. Then again i know my limits, I'd never drop a Benji on scratch tickets during the course of a week. Al if you had the option of spending $100 on scratchies or taking your family/ friends out for dinner once a week wouldn't you pick dinner? I sure would. You can have a great meal with four of your friends for $100 and still have enough to get boozed nice. Hell, why not just go to the local strip joint and spend $100, at least you're getting something out of it.
So the fact that vice stocks do best in a recession holds true. Screw it, if people keep on boozing, gambling, and smoking I'll cash in on them.

And oh ya "Be A Winner"-WSC

No comments:

Post a Comment